Thursday, August 9, 2012

Ramen Zundo

I am always excited to find a new RAMEN joint. Today while posting a review online, I stumbled upon a review of this ramen place called Ramen Zundo. The reviewer recommended the Tonkotsu ramen and gave a very positive feedback, so I was even more eager to try.

I informed Mr Panda and off we go during my lunch break. I am pretty lucky to work so close to home, and to be surrounded by so many restaurants/cafes/food courts. Every lunch time I'm always at a dilemma because with so many yummy eateries to choose from, I am too damn spoilt for choice!

(Click on picture to enlarge) 


The menu displayed outside, it was too bloody windy today for us to stand and browse, we jumped straight in. 

Nice decor, I love these lanterns

Ta-dah!!!!! Our Tonkotsu Ramen has arrived yippeee!!! Can't wait to devour but first MUST stop and take a picture even though I was starving!

I chose the Tonkotsu Soup base in Zundo Black (baked garlic oil)

Mr Panda's Tonkotsu in Zundo White (original flavor)

It has chashu roast pork belly pieces (nom nom nom), the ramen noodles with bean sprouts, cabbage, and seaweed. Hang on!!! Cabbage??? We were both immediately puzzled! Why on earth would you put cabbage there? Strange.


We actually ordered 2 extra eggs (Ramen will not be complete without egg) but forgot to take a picture of it.

The tonkotsu broth is really nice. It is thick and covered in a layer of oil, which some ppl might not like. The ramen noodles are not too thick, quite bouncy and chewy. We both finished our ramen except for the cabbage. So full!!

Overall, I'd come back again because I really like the soup broth and the chashu pork belly, minus the cabbage though. I am also keen to try the Zundo Red which has Zundo spicy chilli oil, mmm.... chilli!!!! *drool


UPDATE: 30.11.2012

So Mr Panda and I went back for the second time today, and yes it has been awhile. He ordered the Zundo Black (what I had last time) and this time I ordered Zundo Red. When it arrived I was so surprised at how much chilli flakes they put in it *cue clapping hands like a seal & giggling* cuz I just LOVE a spicy dish haha!!


 LOOK AT THE HECTIC CHILLI FLAKES!!!


Anyway, it's not as spicy as I had hoped for, but that's a good thing because you want to taste the ramen, and not be overpowered by the chilli. But it's not as good as I thought it'd be. I still prefer the Zundo Black with baked garlic oil, that one is jam packed full of flavours, and I love garlic so it's a winner in my eyes. Definitely not for the faint hearted, so if you hate garlic, stay the heck away, LOL!


Stay tuned for more yummy posts :D

xx,
Chicabel

Ramen Zundo
Shop 1030 World Sq 644 George St
Sydney, NSW 2000
Phone: 02 9264 6113


View Larger Map Ramen Zundo on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    If you like ramen, try Ryo's Noodles in Crows Nest. The best ramen I've had so far. Also you can choose your preferred level of 'saltiness', e.g. less salty, normal etc.

    The decor isn't anything special, its the food that is amazing. My fav at the moment is the spicy pork ramen, I tried it both with normal salt level and less salty. I preferred less salty...but each to their own.

    125 Falcon Street Crows Nest New South Wales 2060

    Please put a review up if you do visit Ryo's.

    Nice blog btw :-D

    Abz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abz, thanks so much for the comment :D I've actually tried Ryo's noodles already and LOVED it!!! But I forgot to take a photo last time I went (dammit) Must go back soon and do that LOL. Yummm can't wait

      Delete